Monday, June 9, 2008

SLC, the Big City!

For those who have been paying attention, it has been one month, two weeks, and one day since I have updated my blog. That would be because the day after my parents left town after Rebecca's baptism, our computer got fried. We finally got a new computer, two days before I left for Salt Lake City. So I'm just a little behind. There is a TON of blogging that should've/would've/could've been done during that time. After much debate with myself, I've decided to start with the most recent event in my life: the Big Trip to the Big SLC, and work backwards to cover my parents trip to Alaksa and Rebecca's baptism.

So, here we go. I took the red-eye out of Anchorage and flew directly to SLC. The baby slept awesome. I slept for about 17.34 minutes. Mostly this was due to the fact that El is such a light sleeper that if I even shift one half a centimeter she wakes up and gives the pathetic, "I was fast asleep and now you woke me up!" whimper, which can escalate into full out wailing if I complete the 2 centimeter move. If she gets to the wailing stage, I can't bank on her falling back to sleep, so I was forced to suffer through a 5 hour flight without moving, (or by the end feeling) my arm, neck, legs, or mouth. Okay, I could move my mouth. It wasn't too awful, though. Last time I flew with an infant she (Lily) was puking the whole way. That's when I learned that the best puke catcher is one of those vinyl bibs that fold up from the bottom to prevent stray food from falling on the floor. It works really well to catch projectile vomit as well, just in case you were wondering. Babies don't know how to aim for the Ziploc (which I learned about using in the car because of a special I watched on bullemia), so if you're ever in that situation with an infant, plan for the bib action. It holds about 4 cups, plenty for a baby with the flu.

Anyway, with that mental picture in your head, (you're welcome) I'll move on. I arrived in SLC, and after punting my baby, carseat, stroller, backpack, and carry-on luggage back and forth the airport trying to figure out the shuttle, I arrived at the Marriott. They were kind enough to let me check in at about 10:00 local time. I dove into the plush linens and fell fast asleep for about 2 hours. Luckily, El did as well!

About noon I hopped in the shower. Quarter to one Becca showed up!! YAY!! It was SO good to see her. We dinked around the hotel and then decided we needed to find some shoes. So we took off for Gateway Mall. I wanted to go to the ZCMI mall, but I was informed that it no longer exists. Then I found out it did. Then I wasn't sure if it did or it didn't. I'm still confused. Regardless, we walked about four blocks to Gateway and managed to find socks for Elliotte, shoes for Bec, and shoes for me. Bec was looking for a pair to wear for one day only, since we couldn't wear sandals in Elder Bednar's office and that's all they wear in Hawaii. I was looking for any cute pair to spend my money on. I found some. Dad would not like them. They are crayon green with little bows on them. They're going to look so cute with my new skirt. I also bought a necklace for $5, which was "Tree's pick of the day." (Tree was the name of the girl working at Payless. It was, I promise! I did not ask her if she was dating Apple, but I guess I should have!)

After our shopping, we relaxed in the hotel until Mom and Dad arrived. They finally made it! It was so good to see them! I walked to their hotel room, where they had a way better view. Here's what it looked like out their window:
Nice, huh? Not a bad picture, considering it was through smudged glass. I was grateful for the view, because this is what was going on directly in front of their room:


(In other words, when you go visit next summer, don't bother to stay at the Marriott for the temple view. You'll be looking at a new mall instead.)

We hung out until Clay and Amy arrived, and then we hung out some more. Then it was time for Dad to pick up Jane at the airport. Then we hung out even more. It was really fun. We had basketball going in one room, and room service drama in the other. Joseph really wanted to do the ordering, so he did! The food arrived and they had the most adorable mini bottles of ketchup I have ever seen. I managed to collect five before I left town to take to my ketchup lovers at home--four kids and Dale. I didn't get one because ketchup is disgusting.

Emma drew a lovely picture of the temple. It was very pretty, and she drew tulips and something else on the picture for planted flowers. I would tell you what they were, but as I told her, I'm not very good at identifying flowers. They were very lovely, though, whatever they were. She gave her picture to Elder Bednar, and he thought it was great.

Grandpa arrived, and shortly after we went to bed. The next day was crazy and intense, so I'll blog it separately tomorrow. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If you and Becca want to get together for lunch some time while you're out here give me a call - (801) 853-8339.

Clay & Amy Hansen said...

Oh THAT'S where all the ketchup bottles went. We were wondering. j/k