Friday, April 25, 2008

Fake-Up Up-Date 2

As tired as some may be about hearing about the weather in Alaska, I just have to gripe that after 10 days in a row (not that I'm counting) of beautiful Spring weater (we're talking low 50's here!), it is now snowing. Yes. Snowing. Again. Not nice, wet, spring snow, but nasty cold February snow that is dry-ish and cold. I know, I know, it's probably just a spring snow that will not stick, but I should note that we all said that about the last 7 storms in APRIL!! Yuckers. Plus, Dale jumped the gun and threw out Logan's nasty snow boots. Now his toes might freeze.

On to other topics. Who came up with the great idea of "Spirit Week" in school, anyway? I remember loving them as a kid, but now I feel the great need to tell mom "thank you". It's like Halloween 5 days in a row. Except there's a "theme" so it's even worse. Especially when I'm dealing with a kid like Logan. For example, Monday was "Mis-Match Day". Sounds easy enough, right? Sarah and Rebecca went nuts, pairing their pioneer costumes with sport shirts, leg warmers on the arms, one pony tail, blah, blah blah. Logan should have been easy. Mis-Matched shirt and pants, a couple of different shoes, viola! Yah, Right. Everything I suggested was countered with a casual, "no." He refused to wear anything but a pair of brown pants with MATCHING shirt (I bought them as a set at JC Penny. You know, the kind that have three pieces on one hanger for $15?) . He wore matching shoes and matching socks. Yet he was sitting there whining because it was mis-match day and he wanted to participate. Finally, I talked him into wearing a plaid button-up shirt (that matched) and buttoned the bottom button to the top button-hole. He was happy. But pretty matched. I'd say he "missed" the point! (hardy har-har)

As I mentioned earlier, Rebec and Sarah wore the pioneer dresses that Dale made for them at Halloween. Sarah begs on a bi-weekley basis (once during the week and once on Sunday) to wear that thing to church/school. I keep telling her she can wear it to church the entire month of July, and if there's something "special" at school. Sarah's idea of "special" and mine are not quite the same, as it turns out. A couple of weeks ago, she managed to sneak out of the house wearing it under all of her gear. She was going on a field trip to the museum that day, and wanted to match. So my child wore that thing to the museum. In public. In front of the whole school. She said people kept asking her why she was wearing a halloween costume. I told her it would've worked out in Utah, but she should have worn her mukluks and parka if she wanted to fit in here. It was all about the Eskimos, after all.

So I let her wear it to Mis-Match day. Now, keep in mind that I didn't look at the entire week's events, because my childrens didn't bring home the flier. Had I known that Wednesday was Wild West Day I might have nixed it on Monday. Sarah and Rebec wore the whole get-up, bonnets and pinafore's included. Rebecca wanted to wear her old horse costume, (white-at-one-time, gum stuck in it's fur, stained, missing it's tail), but lucky chance it was too small! phew! I had a cow-print vest I tried to get Logan to wear, but he refused. He wore a normal plaid shirt and jeans. He wouldn't even take the stick-horse. He came home and put on the vest and played Cowboy all day, though, so he obviously had a great time.

I would include pics of Crazy Hair day, but yet again my card reader is faulty. Maybe next time.

Darn. I had hoped that by the time I finished this exhaustive narrative the snow would have stopped. No such luck. The lawn is completely white and it's not slowing. Plus, I have to go turn up the heater and make myself a cup of hot cocoa. How depressing. It's only 62 degrees in my house. Sigh.

No comments: