Sunday, February 15, 2009

What do you get...

...when a bunch of cool hippies plan the school carnival?

Winter Faire at Winterberry!
Now, this was a great event. I've been to some carnivals in my day, but this one takes the cake. Or should I say, "muffin"?

At Winter Faire, you exchange cash for jewels instead of tickets. It's a pretty cool system if you ask me. They use jewels for everything, including games, food, and crafts. One of the food items was a bowl of homemade potato soup. I helped peel the spuds the night before, and out of 100 pounds I must of peeled about 40. There were several people helping, but I was just really good at it. If you have to have skill, it might as well be peeling potatoes! (I guess...) They were observing my technique and asking all sorts of questions about proper peeling. It was pretty funny to me. I told them they should see Dale peel spuds; he can do it with a paring knife almost as fast as with a peeler. They were beyond impressed.

Anyway...This is the muffin walk (I guess they don't do cake walks at this school. They do muffins instead because its more organic. The only difference I see between a muffin and a cupcake is frosting, but I didn't say anything.) Rebecca's class was in charge of games, so I helped set these up. It's not very organic, but they did use my duct tape dice because they are large. They started out the day using students' old paintings cut out in the shape of numbers, but they got ripped up. The mom in charge of the muffin walk had no cake walk experience. She told me that she was going to look it up on the internet because she didn't have a clue. I filled her in on the tricky points (of which there are none, except use something other than paper taped to the floor for numbers, which she rejected.) I offered to use duct tape to make numbers on the floor, but it wasn't organic enough, I guess. In the end they got so ripped up that she begged me to re-do the numbers with tape. Which I did, without saying "I told you so!" That was big of me, wasn't it? (Click on the picture if you want to see the detail of the dice and numbers.)


This is the slingshot range. It was pretty awesome. I donated the pie plates. I didn't do the painting.
Logan taking careful aim:Elliotte was more interested in eating the ammunition!
In between games, there was a live orchestra so we could do folk dancing. Here is a photo of me (rare) dancing. (Rarer. If that's a word. Which I doubt.)



Dale contributed to the faire by roasting almonds and pecans for the bake sale. It was fun, and they were VERY popular. Here he is with a delivery.

And another of him with the baby. It was VERY cold...I think about 15 degrees F.
There were lots of crafts, and not exactly of the Oriental Trading Company variety. Sarah's favorite was dying silks. She did two of them. They hang in the window, and are very beautiful. Lily did one, also.

The kids also felted a tennis ball.
This is one of only a couple of pictures that actually has Rebecca in it because while I was taking pictures she was watching a marionette puppet show! By the time she was done, I was in charge of running the muffin walk. She had lots of fun, though. We all did. I can't wait for the Winter Faire next year.

You, know I think I just might be turning into a cool hippie myself! MUFFIN THE MATTER WITH THAT! (I couldn't resisit!)

4 comments:

Los Hansen said...

I want to go to Winter Berry! How cool is that fair? I never got to paint silk at my school and I never got to shoot a sling shot either. Talk about faith! Slingshots, kids, bad combination!

xoxo

McCallisters said...

Idahoans know how to peel spuds. Dale is one and you are a transplant.

The fair looks fun!

McCallisters said...

By the way, you seem to have planned a major portion of this. How much of a crazy hippie are you then??

Jessica said...

What fun! 'Rarer'....I think it can be a word. Kind of goes along with Chantelle's 'Ruder'. I LOVE making up words! :P