Thursday, March 19, 2009

Speaking of March Madness and Diabetes...

Did you hear about Lance Mackey in the Iditarod? He got into Nome yesterday at 11:38 am, almost 9 hours ahead of the second musher in. This is his third consecutive win. The man and his team are on fire! Logan is way into it. He informed me that they have a "Junior Iditarod" every year. I said yep, too bad we don't have a sled dog team, huh? He was rooting for Mackey again this year.

Bruce Linton, a type 1 diabetic musher, is currently running 29th, about in the middle. He went to diabetes camp last summer, and brought his puppies. He was also featured on the Discovery channel special on the Iditarod last October, and on Dlife, a diabetic lifestyle show Sundays on CNBC. This pic is of him coming in 2nd at the Tustamena 100.

Rebecca's friend has a dog running. I don't remember which team, but supposedly it's the lead dog. True story? You tell me.

I am kicking myself, because during the Fur Rondevous, an annual event in Anchorage, I planned on snapping a picture of every sled dog team truck I saw while running around town, but didn't do it. Everytime I saw one at the grocery store, gas station, pizza place, or in a downtown parking area, I reflected on how cool this city is and how much I love living here! Go Huskies! (But only the real ones, not the mascot sort in Washington. Well, okay, go WA Huskies for one round....I have Purdue beating them in the second bracket...)

No comments: