Sunday, March 23, 2008

Eastah Time is da Time for Eggs,


And da time for eggs is Eastah Time!


Wow. I forgot how much I love love, love(!) Easter. We all had a great time decorating eggs in the late evening on Saturday, and I got loads of great pictures. I'll share several on the blog, but just know there are about a hundred more great ones you don't get to see! Don't we love digital?

We boiled exactly 5 dozen eggs, and all but one made it to the decorating table. I am such a genious egg boiler, ain't I? Rebecca, Logan, and Lily were all standing on a chair watching me from what should have been a safe distance, when Rebecca lost her balance. She didn't get hurt or anything, but she fell forward onto the counter and caught herself with her hand. I told everyone to get down because I would prefer to NOT to go to the hospital as I was really wanting to decorate eggs instead. Rebecca said, "Besides, my face would be ugly and scarred forever if I landed in that pot of water!" Then Logan, without missing a beat said, Yeah, until you was resurrected and then you would be pretty again!" Um, he's seven. Good job, Logan! Needless to say, I'm very proud of him.

For those of you who have been keeping track, March marks the one year anniversary of Sarah being diagnosed with diabetes. It hit me kind of hard when in the middle of our Easter activities she announced she thought she had low blood sugar. She was almost low at 76. We treated it with juice, and shortly after she said she needed to lie down. She left our party for about 15 minutes to lay down until she felt better. On Sunday she told me, "It's not fair. This makes two Easter's that I've had diabetes." I think Easter will always be a little bit of a struggle for her. I know it is for me. I am grateful, however, for modern technology. It wasn't too many years ago that a blood glucose monitor that could be carried around with a diabetic was a pipe dream. Just a few years ago there would have been no Easter candy for Sarah. As it is now, she had plenty of Peeps, Robin Eggs, and jelly beans, believe me!

Don't you love her new diabetes bracelets? I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but it is embossed with a silver"DIABETIC" with the medical alert symbol. I love them. They are relatively inexpensive and durable, so I'm going to buy her several more in different colors so she can mix and match. The only rule is she has to choose one color that she wears ALL the time. I feel a lot better now that she has them. Her last one broke on the first day, which was a real bummer.

Back to the fun stuff. I bought an "egg spinner" on clearance last April, (at least I assume it was April. By the way, for those who have been wondering, I learned in church on Sunday that Easter is the first Sunday of the full moon after the vernal equinox. Vernal equinox is when the daylight/nightlight ratio is 12hrs/ 12hrs, (always observed on March 21) and from that day forth will become lighter until Summer soltice (celebrated with a huge party on June 21, as the sun don't go down in Fairbanks!) Phew!)

ANYWAY...I bought an egg spinner on clearance last April, and it turned out to be really fun. (That was sort of a long paragraph earlier for a not-so-important sentence.) We also did glitter eggs. Did I mention I love clearance shopping?

Easter Sunday was great fun, too. The easter bunny brought the family a Mr. Potato Head AND Mrs. Potato Head easter kit. Each set had two little Spud Buds, Easter clothes, Royal clothes, (Crowns, etc) and of course, bunny ears and teeth! They even included bunny slippers. Very fun.

Even more great were the Webkinz he brought everyone but Dad. Dad was way bummed he didn't get one. I got a "googles", which is a cute little gal that looks like a duck. I named her Hannah. (Those of you who know why, give yourself a quacker!) Sarah got an elephant she named Skippy, Rebecca got a rabbit (what else?) named Vanilla Ice Cream, and Lily got a monkey I convinced her to name "Tahiti". Logan was the funniest/saddest. Really it was sad, but in my life you either doing a lot of laughing or crying, and I choose laughing. He got a lion, and was trying to decide what to name it. He decided on, "Wiwwy." Now, that's how he says "Lily", just so you know. So I said, "No, we don't want to name the lion 'Lily' because that would be confusing. How about 'Savannah?'" He scowled at me and said, "No, WIW-EE!" Again I said, "That's too confusing. Pick something else. How about 'Sahara'?" He started getting really upset and said, "Not 'Wiwee', "WIW-WEE!" It occurred to me that he was not saying Lily, so then I had put on my speech brain and try and figure out what he was really saying. Finally, it hit me. "Willy?" I asked. "Yes, Wiwy." My poor brain. I can't help but laugh to myself when I hear Logan and Lily playing with their Webkins together: "Wogan, does Wiwwee want to pway wif 'heedee and Wiwy?" "No, Wiwy, Wiwee is a wion, and wions eat monkeys. Wiwee! Don't eat Heedee! Don't wowwy, Wiwy. Wiwee won't eat Heedee. Wiwee woves Heedee. They pway togeth-o 'cause they's best fwends." "Yeah, 'sides, Wiwee is my fwend, and fwends don't eat they's fwends!" This was an actual converstation they had on Sunday. 'Sides, is it any wonder my brain hurts all the time?

We made quite the mess, but it turned out to be worth it. as of Monday morning we had exactly 4 hard-boiled eggs left in the fridge after eating over 65 eggs on Sunday in a blur of egg salad and egg whites. My kids, (Especially Sarah) don't eat the yolks. Don't judge; there are no carbs in eggs, and she could've gorged on jelly beans, after all!

And now some pictures of the baby. 'Sides, she's super cute!



1 comment:

McCallisters said...

Elliotte's blue eyes are so pretty! I love the Easter pics. Looks like a blast!